Created for Necessity, Employed for Passion

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Let's build a world. Explore what we believe by writing. In many ways my characters’ experiences with fate, destiny and free-will mirror my own. What is up to us and what isn’t? It’s one of the great questions of the human experience, I think. But no matter what is for us to control, we must own the identity. You’re a writer if you write. Period. Writing is a lovely way to spend one’s time. Enjoy it. And I hope you enjoy my writing here.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

For You


You Guys---

Having a book come out is the most awesome experience. I am already starting to hear from some of you and your voices, your words, your emails, are the most precious things I have ever come in contact with. Truly. The whole point of this book was to touch people, to have someone (anyone!) say hey, I'm going through that, too! So the fact that it's already happening is just remarkable. And I thank you so much for making that dream come true for me.

And, of course, there are the haters. I know I'm not supposed to talk about this, but today I just wanted to say a few words about negative reviews. It's a part of publishing. It's what happens when you put yourself out there. I would never deny someone the right to their opinion--- no one is required to love or even like my work. That's part of what makes it so cool--- it will speak to some, and not to others. But it upsets me when people say things about this book that just aren't true. It makes me want to fight back--- to point out what they are clearly missing. Hey! Wait a minute! Stop calling me bad names--- you're being mean! I sound like someone's little sister, huh?

This morning was one of those moments, for me, and I sat in front of my computer screen and thought of all the things I would say if I could. All of the lines I would point out, all the decisions I would clarify. All the questions I would ask if I had the chance.

But then I realized: I already did. I already said everything I need to. I wrote this book. I wrote it for truth. I wrote it for you. I wrote it for any girl who has, will, or is going through heart break. I wrote it to tell you that even when love hurts, it's not the end. I wrote it to say that we all have a choice in how our lives unfold-- how our love story unfolds. I wrote it to tell each and every one of you that you get to be the star of your own story.

This one is mine. The good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful--- it's all here.

Thank you for sharing it with me.

XO,

R


No comments:

Post a Comment