Created for Necessity, Employed for Passion

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Let's build a world. Explore what we believe by writing. In many ways my characters’ experiences with fate, destiny and free-will mirror my own. What is up to us and what isn’t? It’s one of the great questions of the human experience, I think. But no matter what is for us to control, we must own the identity. You’re a writer if you write. Period. Writing is a lovely way to spend one’s time. Enjoy it. And I hope you enjoy my writing here.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Love Triangles

My friend who shall remain nameless because I currently want to kill her (lack of sleep), introduced me to The Vampire Diaries last night. Holy mother of CW this show is amazing--- Kevin Williamson, how did I ever leave you? Oh right, because Dawson's ended up on Netflix.

I'm not far enough into season 1 to know this, yet, but I'm told this show features a true Love Triangle--- like legit, you guys. Which prompted me to start thinking about love triangles in general. It's a nifty trick, I will tell you--- one I employ in my books quite regularly. You set the tension spinning with one and then you up it with another--- it's a way to have anticipation and pay off at the same time-- and to always be building to something (with uncertainty). But is a love triangle ever ACTUALLY a love triangle?

Take the classic Kev example-- Dawson-Joey-Pacey. I don't want to offend people, but was anyone out there actually Team Dawson? Did such a thing exist? Similarly I look at Edward-Bella-Jacob. Team Jacob, can you hear me? Are you out there?

My point: love triangles seemed to weighted in one direction. Heavily. We know who we want, we know who SHE/HE wants, it just takes awhile to get there.

BUT-- glorious but! I have been told The Vampire Diaries is a real, legit, keep-surprising-you-you-have-no-idea-who-you-want love triangle. I am excited! This could be a first.

Tell me--- what is your favorite love triangle? And guys: NO VAMPIRE DIARIES SPOILERS!!!

XOXO,

R

5 comments:

  1. LOVE TVD. And, yes, legit would be one word to describe the agonizing triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be honest, as much fun as they are (even though my "Team" consistently loses...why is this?), love triangles actually kind of disturb me. Not inherently, just the fact that it seems like stories--especially those marketed to teens and 20s--can't get the swoonytimes without them! Like, you can't really know you love someone until you've fallen in love with someone else? Or at least jerked your true(est) love along for the equivalent of 200 pages? There's something to be said for discovery and growing up, but I think there is also a lot to be said for commitment and decision that is absent in a lot of literature today--and in a lot of relationships. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Team Jacob! :-P

    I also agree with Bethany above - love triangles scare the shizz out of me. I liked reading about them for a while but now it seems every YA form (TV, movies, books) has a love triangle and the main char must choose The One. Honestly, it gets kind of tiring. My teen life was more "study get good grades study" than boysboysboys. I wish there were more books like that out there (a girl focused on school and trying to figure out her friends more than her boyfriend life). :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a no team person most of the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was all for Joey ending up with Dawson, even though he was kind of whiny and stupid most of the time. Joey and Pacey still don't make sense to me. I may have to actually re-watch the series. For me, I'd actually end the series after the first season. I always wanted Pacey for me, but Dawson for Joey. But of course...watching it as an almost 30-year-old instead of the teen that I was when it was on could change my perspective.

    I don't know that I have a favorite love triangle...but I'm kind of interested in the one in Lisa M. Stasse's THE FORGOTTEN. And of course, I love yours, Rebecca!

    Jen
    Literally Jen

    ReplyDelete